Sunday, November 11, 2007

Polyphasic Sleep Experiment, Days 2-3 (4)?

Ah yes, the delirium is finally starting to set in. I'm being invaded by an army of ants; this part is true. But for an already paranoid person, sleep deprivation is probably not the best alloy for fixing up chinks in the ol' armor.

I awoke from another too lucid dream (already forgot what about but it seemed to last all night despite my being asleep for only half an hour), went to get some ginger ale from the kitchen, and was relieved from that annoying post-nap stupor by an orgy of those crawling fucks openly reveling in what can only be described as Dionysian ecstasy all over my kitchen counter. This is probably something I should've seen coming - I'll explain why - and I remember kicking myself briefly before grabbing sopping paper towels and wiping sheets of tiny swarms into the trash. This is what god must feel like when he's concocting an earthquake or a massive tidal wave.

Like I said, this is something I should've seen coming. I did put the bait trap right there and the box did say that it contained something that apparently ants find very appealing and irresistible. Essentially I put an ant crackhouse on the kitchen counter. And that stuff really made them go.* These normally business-like creatures were exhibiting signs of unpredictability and drunkenly irrational behavior. And the most telling thing about all this was the fact that there was food - presumably the thing that these animals are after most - in cabinets and drawers right next to where the buggers were celebrating but the crack-in-a-trap was just too tempting, too available to pass up.

There's an obvious human parallel here but I'm too respectful of my readers (read: lazy) to actually go into it. My eyes are shutting involuntarily so I'll have to go into the paranoia-driven details of my sleep-deprived mind at a future time.


*footnote: Ants are nature's hardest workers. They're organized, efficient, and have this amazing ability to use their collective power to carry out incredibly complex projects by sacrificing the will of the individual. For whatever reason I have this habit of personifying animals and animal species and ants automatically flash impressions of the Chinese or Japanese.

** An interesting article on the subject printed a few days after I wrote this: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/science/13traff.html?pagewanted=1&th&emc=th

No comments: