Friday, November 9, 2007

Polyphasic Sleep Experiment, Day 1

I'm trying something new. It'll probably end in some kind of brutal violence against me due to my own brain deadness or will just flicker away because I couldn't hack it. Either way, I'll see how long I can maintain a sleep schedule consisting entirely of 30 minute naps every four hours or so. I'm one day into this and you can probably tell by the more than usual sloppiness and lack of rhythm that it's making a minor dent in my cognitive skills already. I hear day 10 is the horizon. Others have hit it by the fourth day. I'm really hoping my hump is sooner than later because if the side-effects increase exponentially I'll be certifiably retarded or Tom Cruise loony in a few days.

The one thing that immediately presents itself upon starting this little adventure is what do do with the extra five or so hours that you have each day. Nights, I presume, will be the hardest. Besides watching tv there's not much to occupy yourself with that doesn't involve dozing off or having the cops called on you. Tonight I'll try to arrange for one of the girls come over to keep me awake. This is obviously going to take a lot of night-to-night maneuvering. But I didn't say it wasn't fun.

One more little tidbit. Today I was feeling really groggy and it was hot in my apartment and I felt I'd seriously lose it before my next nap. So I threw on some clothes and walked down to the local college to talk to the girls over there. It was mostly dead and the few that were around seemed intent on getting to the destinations without much delay. They were responsive though, and cute and giggly but completely driven by the clock-gods. I still haven't quite figured out how to make a woman stop on the street. It's a lot easier when they're stationary. This little exercise gave me a little energy and brightened my mood a bit. It was all good fun the way it should be. None of that frigidness you'd get from the same girl if you transplant her from the street to the club. But that's a whole 'nother game.

Stay tuned.

No comments: